Recipe Creator: Chef Colin Holder (The Velvet Glove, Fairmont Hotel, Winnipeg)
Parlez-vous terrine? This fruity-cheesy-seedy mixture is prepared in advance and allowed to chill, overnight so flavours mellow.
- ½ cup fresh or dried dates
- ¾ cup red wine
- 2 cups cream cheese, cubed
- 2 Tbsp soft, unsalted butter
- 1 cup Bothwell Red Wine Aged Cheddar, grated
- ½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp chopped oregano
- Place the dates, red wine and oregano in a pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain, save the dates and discard the rest.
- Coarsely chop the dates.
- Blend the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl then add the Bothwell Red Wine Aged Cheddar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Coat the inside of a terrine pan with plastic wrap and spoon half of the mixture into the pan.
- Place the dates and sunflower seeds in a row down the center of the cheese mixture and cover with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the terrine from the plastic wrap, slice and garnish with the remaining dates and seeds.
- Serve with your favourite salad or loaf of crusty bread.