Recipe Creator: Chef Jason Wortzman
Your taste buds will dance like a butterfly after the first few spoonfuls of this wine-imbued cheese & mushroom soup.
- 2 ½ cups thinly sliced mushrooms: white, brown, oyster, porcini, chanterelle, or a combination of any of the above
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp thyme
- 2 Tbsp white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ½ cups Bothwell Red Wine Extra Old Cheddar, shedded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Melt butter with olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook mushrooms, stirring until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, flour and thyme and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, then stock, and stir until soup begins to simmer gently.
- Add milk and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Switch to low heat and gradually add cheese, stirring constantly until all of the cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and sprinkle with chopped chives.
- Make sure to never boil the soup once the cheese is added.