These moist, savory muffins are the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of soup or crisp salad.
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- 15 ml baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp chopped sun dried tomatoes, soaked in warm water and drained
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¾ cup Bothwell Extra Old Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, mixing well.
- Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl mix together the egg and milk.
- Stir in the melted butter; sun dried tomatoes, green onions and cheese.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well and stir to moisten.
- Divide the mixture into 9 muffin cups and pour a little water in the remaining cups.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool for 3 minutes before removing from tin.