Recipe Creator: Chef Rob Thomas
A dream come true – cheese for dessert! Served with our warm Apple Ginger Tart, this sweet and smoky ice cream is sure to impress.
- 1 ½ cups Heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups Whole milk
- ½ cup Sugar, divided
- Pinch Salt
- 6 large Egg yolks
- 6oz Bothwell Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar, shredded
Ice Cream Maker
Apple Ginger Tart
- 1 Sheet Frozen puff pastry, thawed (according to package)
- 2 Apples, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 2 ½ Tbsp Brown sugar, divided
- 1 ½ tsp Fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- In a medium saucepan combine cream, milk, ¼ cup sugar, and salt. Bring mixture to a simmer, stir to dissolve sugar, remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and ¼ cup sugar until pale (2 minutes). Whisk in ½ cup of the warm cream mixture.
- Whisk tempered yolk mixture into remaining warm cream mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until custard forms on a spoon and a finger swiped across the back leaves a clean line, or until temperature reaches 170°F.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Let stand 1 minute and then whisk to combine. Using an immersion blender, or upright blender, process until smooth (approx. 30 seconds).
- Pour custard through a fine mesh strainer into an airtight container and chill in refrigerator until temperature is 40°F (2-3 hours or overnight). If the custard separates slightly or forms a skin, wait until it's completely chilled, then blend until smooth.
- Using an ice cream maker, churn the custard (following manufacturer's instructions). Transfer to an airtight container and store in freezer for at least 4 hours before serving.
Apple Ginger Pastry Tart
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place puff pastry on lightly-floured work surface. Cut a rectangle 6" wide by 10" long, place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Combine butter, 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar, ginger, vanilla and cinnamon. Generously brush the puff pastry top with the mixture, leaving a ¾" border.
- Layer apple on the puff pastry, inside the border, shingled in straight lines. Cut more apple to fill gaps.
- Brush apples with the remaining butter mixture, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp brown sugar. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cool for five minutes. Slice tart into small squares and serve warm with Bothwell Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar Ice Cream.