Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
You'll score big-time with this casserole. Packed with all your favorite Mexican fixings, it's perfect for Game Day, or any day!
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- ½ Medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp Minced garlic
- 2 cups Fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 ½ cups Long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (540mL) Canned black beans, rinsed (approx. 2 ¼ cups)
- 1 cup Frozen corn
- 1 (398mL) Canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Bothwell Smoked Gouda, shredded & divided
- 2 ½ cups Vegetable broth or water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain any juices and add to a 9x13” baking dish. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat and add pepper and onions, cooking until just softened.
- Add garlic, spinach, salt, cumin, chili powder, and paprika, and cook 1-2 minutes, until spinach has just wilted and spices are fragrant. Add to baking dish with beef.
- Add rice, beans, corn, tomatoes and 1 cup cheese and stir until combined. Pour broth over top and gently stir.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Open and stir, checking to see if the rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed. Bake another 10-15 minutes if necessary until the rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese and broil until bubbly.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, fresh tomatoes and cilantro if desired and serve.
Optional garnishes include crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, fresh tomatoes, fresh cilantro.
For more heat, throw in a diced jalapeno (or two) when you’re cooking the red pepper and onions!