Recipe Creator: Chef Rob Thomas
Savoury and slightly sweet, these are a great addition to brunch or a fantastic way to end a meal. Plus you get to use a kitchen torch, so they are slightly dangerous to make - time to live life on the edge! Side note: you can totally use the broiler, but that's not as fun.
- 200ml Heavy cream
- 4 Eggs
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 60g Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar, finely grated
- 2tbsp Caster sugar
- In a stainless steel or glass bowl whisk together the cream, eggs, sugar, nutmeg and cheese.
- Place bowl over a small saucepan filled with enough water to simmer without touching the bowl.
- Stir continuously for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Do not let it overheat or the eggs will curdle.
- Divide the mixture evenly among ramekins. Refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle with sugar and place under a broiler for 2 minutes or use a kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar.