Recipe Creator: Trina Gallop Blank (willcookforshoes.ca)
A quick and delicious main course that is sure to make your list of weeknight dinners. Make sure to use the chicken-breast flattening tip!
- The key to this being a quick cook dinner is that you have to pound the chicken breasts to flatten them. To keep down the mess, put the chicken into a Ziploc bag, seal, and pound it to about ½ inch think.
- Depending on the thickness of your chicken you can cut each chicken breast in half after flattening them so you end up with 4 pieces. Thinner means they will cook faster but you also tenderize them a bit when you flatten them.
- At this point, pre-heat on medium high a large frying pan on your stove. If you like, you can add a tablespoon of canola oil. In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg. And pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow dish. Add the oregano to the breadcrumbs.
- Take each piece of chicken, dredge first in the egg wash, then in the breadcrumbs.
- Place in the frying pan to cook. Salt and pepper generously! Allow the chicken to cook till brown on both sides, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Pour the tomato sauce into a saucepan and set to medium heat to bring to a simmer (about 15 min).
- At this time, get your cheese ready to go as well. You can also use a half and half blend of Mozzarella and Parmesan or your favourite Bothwell Cheese. I used a blend of Bothwell Mozzarella and their Black Truffle cheeses.
- Once the chicken is browned on both sides, pour the spaghetti sauce over top and then sprinkle with cheese. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.Remove from heat and serve.