The sharp taste of Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar gives a deep, smoky taste to this classic, rustic fare. Be sure to make enough for seconds!
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 2 Medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 Clove fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 Bottles (approx. 355ml each) lager or pale ale beer - or to taste
- 2 cups Whipping cream
- ¾ cup Chicken stock
- 2 3/4 cups Bothwell Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Chives, chopped (optional)
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cook onions and garlic until soft.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add beer, pouring along the side of the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Add cream and stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring until melted (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with chives (optional).
- Serve with sliced baguette.