Red Wine Old Cheddar and Wild Mushroom Soup
Recipe Creator: Chef Jason Wortzman
Your taste buds will dance like a butterfly after the first few spoonfuls of this wine-imbued cheese & mushroom soup.
- 2 ½ cups Mushrooms (white, brown, oyster, porcini, chanterelle, or a combination), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- ¼ tsp Thyme
- 2 tbsp White wine
- 4 cups Chicken or vegetable stock or water
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 ½ cups Bothwell Red Wine Extra Old Cheddar, shedded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Chives, chopped (optional)
- Melt butter with olive oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook mushrooms, stirring until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, flour and thyme. Stir for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and stock. Stir until mixture begins to simmer gently.
- Add milk and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Switch to low heat and gradually add the cheese, stirring constantly until it's all melted. Be sure not to boil the soup!
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped chives (optional).