Cheddar and Rye Crisps
They might look like cookies, but these savoury bites highlight the taste of our cheddars. Substitute Old with MapleSmoked Extra Old Cheddar for stronger flavour.
- 8 oz Bothwell Old Cheddar, diced
- ½ cup whole rye flour
- ½ cup large flake rolled oats
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor pulse together the first nine ingredients.
- Add butter and pulse until it reaches the consistency of coarse meal then pulse in the yolk.
- Pat dough into a ball.
- Shape dough by rounded teaspoonful into balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Lightly flour a fork and press balls down to about ¼ inch thickness making a crisscross pattern on top.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a rack; cool.