Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
These soft, cheese-stuffed pretzels made with cheddar are the perfect appetizer or snack. They're perfect for anytime of day.
- 1 ½ cups water, warmed to about 110° F
- 2 tsp. quick rise yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. salted butter, at room temperature
- 10 cups water
- ¾ cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- Optional: flaked salt
- Add water, yeast, sugar and salt to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough
hook, let sit for about 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Add thyme, flour and butter and mix on medium speed for 10-12 minutes until the dough
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let rise for an hour or until it doubles in size.
Assembly and Baking
- Preheat the oven to 425 ° F . Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set
- Combine water and baking soda in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a 16” x 4” wide rectangle.
- Add 3 tbsp. cheese to each rectangle evenly and tightly roll into a rope, pinching the ends
- Fold each rope into a pretzel by making a U shape and crossing the ends over each other,
pinching the ends to ensure it holds the shape.
- Carefully place each pretzel in the boiling water mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove pretzels with a slotted spoon and remove excess water and place on the prepared
- Once all pretzels have been boiled brush with egg wash (if using, add salt) and bake for
16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve immediately.