Recipe Creator: Chef John
Chef John's recipe for vegetarian sloppy joes is easy, cheesy, and delicious. This is a family-friendly meal perfect for any night of the week.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 680g Impossible Burger (2 packages) or lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Sriracha (optional)
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 6 brioche buns
- 170g Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar or Jalapeño Monterey Jack or Mozzarella, grated
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp. of olive oil to brown the Impossible Burger or ground beef for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- After browning the Impossible Burger or ground beef, add onions, salt, and pepper. Continue stirring the onions into the mixture for 5 to 7 minutes. The onions should be softened and caramelized.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for another 10 minutes until the mixture thickens and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sloppy joe mixture on Brioche buns, top cheese and finish in the oven until the cheese is melted.