Recipe Creator: Chef D
These simple Chicken Chimichangas made by Chef D is packed with delicious Mexican flavours and Bothwell's Medium Cheddar. Crisp on the outside, these deep-fried burritos take regular burritos to the next level.
- 1-1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. plus 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 cup Bothwell Medium Cheddar (170g, 540g), grated
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. water
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- In a small saucepan combine ½ cup chicken broth and chipotle and rice stir well.
- Over med/high heat bring mixture up to a boil cover and turn heat off. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot add 1 tbsp. of oil and place pot on a med/high stove and bring oil to temperature so it is very hot, but not smoking. Add onion and cook until softened about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, chili powder, and cumin warm until fragrant, about 30 seconds add remaining ¾ cup of broth, par cooked rice, and beans bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, add chicken and cook covered until chicken registers 160 degrees and rice is tender about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Once cooled cut chicken into ½ inch pieces and combine with rice and bean mixture, cheddar, and cilantro.
- In large, rimmed pot or Dutch oven add 3 cups of oil. Place over med/high heat a bring up to a temperature of 325.
- Whisk flour and water together. Stack tortillas on a plate covered and place in a microwave oven for 30 seconds until pliable. Work one at a time place ¼ of the chicken mixture in the middle of the tortillas. Brush the edges of tortillas with flour paste. Wrap top and bottom of tortillas tightly over filling. Brush ends of tortilla with paste and fold into centre pressing firmly to seal.
- Place 2 chimichangas, seam side down in oil and fry for 2 minutes turn over and fry for another 2 minutes. Remove and place wire rack. Bring oil back to 325 and fry remaining chimichangas. Serve warm with your favourite Mexican beverage!