Recipe Creator: Chef D
This delicious Chile Verde Con Cerdo recipe made with tender seasoned pork, jalapeños, tomatillos, and poblano peppers is full of flavour. Top with Bothwell's Medium Cheddar for a cheesy finish that balances the spiciness of this dish.
- 3lb pork butt cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans of tomatillos
- 5 poblano chilis stemmed, halved, and seeded
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, stemmed and halved
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup Bothwell Medium Cheddar (170g, 540g), grated
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Over medium high heat in a Dutch oven, add pieces of pork and season with salt. Add water and simmer for about 12 minutes until all water is dissolved. Once dissolved let pork brown for 6-8 minutes.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position about 6" from broiler element and heat broiler. Place tomatillos, poblanos, onions, garlic, and jalapeno on a baking sheet and drizzle oil over vegetables. Broil until skin begins to blacken and vegetables soften. Remove from oven.
- Turn off broiler and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Transfer vegetables to a food processor and pulse for 10 seconds.
- Add oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves in a small pan and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Cover pork with warmed spices then pour vegetable mixture over top. Cover with lid and place the Dutch oven in the oven for 1.5 hours, stirring halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and let your chili sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the chili into oven safe bowls and add grated cheese on top. Place bowls in the oven for 3-4 minutes until cheese melts. Serve and garnish with fresh cilantro.