Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
With dark chocolate and spiced candied bacon, this gourmet Bothwell Cheese Smoked Gouda appetizer or dessert has an explosion of flavour in every bite.
- 60 g bacon
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 100 g dark chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 (170 g) block Bothwell Smoked Gouda, cut in 8 equal fingers
- Thinly slice bacon crosswise. Cook in small skillet over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and crisp around the edges. Transfer to paper-towel lined plate.
- Wipe skillet with paper towel. Return bacon to skillet. Stir in brown sugar, cayenne and smoked paprika. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and bubbling and bacon is crispy and evenly coated. Transfer to parchment paper-lined plate in single layer and cool completely.
- Dip Smoked Gouda fingers, one at a time, halfway into chocolate, letting excess drip back into bowl. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; sprinkle candied bacon over chocolate. Let stand for 1 hour or until chocolate hardens and sets.