Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
A french onion soup like you have never experienced before - topped with SqueaK'rs cheese curds.
- 3 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 leek (white only) thinly sliced
- 1 Vidalia onion sliced
- 2 tbsp dried onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried garlic powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1 750ml bottle dry red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of toasted sour dough bread
- 16 Bothwell Squeak'rs cheese curds
- Garnish with parsley or rosemary
For the soup:
- In a large stock pot over medium/high heat melt butter and let butter brown about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and leeks, sauté until onions begin to brown and become translucent (7-9 minutes)
- Stir in onion and garlic powders and continue to sauté for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add wine and vegetable stock, bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Place 4 cheese curds (more if you like) on each of the sour dough bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet under broiler and lightly brown cheese.
- Ladle soup into a bowl, place toast on soup and serve.