Recipe Creator: Harvest & Nourish
This delicious sweet and savoury Herbed Cheddar and Apple Focaccia baked with Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar and Honeycrisp apples is the perfect bread for the season! This beautiful bread is also great for entertaining.
- 1 ½ cups warm water (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons (or 1 packet) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more to drizzle across the top
- 1 cup Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, cubed
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, thinly sliced
- Flaky salt and fresh thyme leaves to garnish
- Gently stir yeast and honey into the water and let sit for 10-15 minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
- While the yeast is proofing, whisk together flour, thyme and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Create a well in the centre and add yeast mixture to the bowl together with olive oil and mix. You want the dough to be sticky so don’t add too much flour.
- Transfer dough to a well-oiled 9x13” baking pan. With oiled hands, gently stretch the dough across the surface of the pan so that it is evenly distributed. Drizzle olive oil across the top of your dough. Add your toppings and let sit for at least 1 hour.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes until golden. Optional: to get the cheese a little crisper place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes keeping a close eye. Let cool for a few minutes, then loosen from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack. Finish with flaky salt and fresh thyme leaves prior to serving.
Honey: If you don’t have honey feel free to substitute sugar or a sweetener of choice.
To reheat: Leftover focaccia can be reheated on a baking sheet at 350º for 5 minutes to regain its crispy texture. Focaccia may also be frozen. Once thawed to room temperature, reheat as above.