Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
These simple stuffed pretzels are loaded with Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar. They're soft on the outside and gooey on the inside. They make a great appetizer or snack for any occasion.
- 1 ½ cups water, warmed to about 110° F
- 2 tsp. quick rise yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. basil, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 4 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp. salted butter, room temperature
- 10 cups water
- ¾ cup baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- Optional: flaked salt
- Add water, yeast, sugar and salt to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough
hook, let sit for about 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Add basil, garlic, flour and butter and mix on medium speed for 10-12 minutes until
dough comes together.
- Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rise for an hour or until it doubles in size.
Assembly and Baking
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set
- Combine water and baking soda in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a 16” x 4” wide rectangle.
- Add 3 tbsp. cheese to each rectangle evenly and tightly roll into a rope, pinching the ends
- Fold each rope into a pretzel by making a U shape and crossing the ends over each other,
pinching the ends to ensure it holds its shape.
- Carefully place each pretzel in the boiling water mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove pretzels with a slotted spoon and remove excess water and place on the prepared
- Once each pretzel has been boiled brush with egg wash (if using add salt) and bake for
16- 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately!