Recipe Creator: Chef D
This refreshing summer salad is packed with quinoa, red peppers, sweet mangos, black beans, avocado, and flavourful Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic cheese.
- 1.5 cups quinoa
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 2 limes, juice of
- ½ jalapeño, stemmed and seeded, finely diced
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted then sliced
- 1 cup Project Verified Non-GMO Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, diced and some grated for plating
- Toast quinoa in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring often, until quinoa is very fragrant and makes continuous popping sound 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in water and ½ tsp of salt and bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until most of the water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender about 15 minutes.
- Spread quinoa on a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool. Transfer to a bowl to a large bowl.
- Process lime juice, jalapeño, cumin, and 1 tsp salt in blender until jalapeño is finely chopped, about 15 seconds. With blender running, add oil and cilantro; continue to process until smooth and emulsified, about 20 seconds.
- Stir in cheese, bell pepper, mango, beans, green onions and lime-jalapeño dressing into the cooled quinoa. Toss to combine. Season to taste. Serve, topping individual servings with avocado.
ChefD’s tip: Add avocado just before you serve to avoid browning.