Herbs & Garlic Sourdough Bread
Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
It's hard to resist cheesy bread, especially when it's homemade! The flavour of Sunny Dog Herbs & Garlic Cheddar compliments the tanginess of sourdough bread. Add your favourite toppings (the options are endless) and you've got the perfect brunch idea.
- 520g organic all-purpose flour
- 12g salt
- 385g water
- 90g Sourdough starter, fed 8-10 hours earlier
- 125g Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, grated
- Dutch oven
- Feed sourdough starter, 8-10 hours before making dough.
- In a medium/large bowl combine flour and salt.
- In a small bowl combine water and sourdough starter until mixed well and cloudy in
- Add the starter water into the flour mixture and combine with a wooden spoon. Mix until
flour is fully incorporated, no need to tidy dough.
- Cover with a wet dish towel and let sit for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, do the first stretches and folds. With a small bowl full of water, wet
your hands and pull one side of the dough up and over the center of the dough. Turn the
bowl a quarter turn and stretch again, repeat this 2 more times or until dough becomes
firm and resists the stretch. Cover bowl with the wet towel and let rest again for another
- Before repeating another round of stretches, add the cheese to the dough first and fold in
the cheese by stretching as per step 6, cover and let rest again for another 15 minutes.
- Repeat the stretches one more time, this time turning the dough fully over in the bowl on
the last stretch. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or wet towel and let dough rest overnight
on the counter (8-12 hours).In the morning the dough should have expanded slightly (about 1.5 times).
- Prepare another bowl with parchment paper dusted with flour and set aside.
- Loosen dough from the edges of the bowl with wet hands and pull the dough straight up
about 1-2 feet in the air and gently fold it on top of itself.
- Give the bowl a quarter turn and wait a minute before repeating the stretch. On the
third stretch, lift and fold it over into the parchment lined bowl.
- Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and gently rub it so it is evenly coated, including
the side of the dough.
- Place dough in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour uncovered, no more than 3 hours.
- While the dough is resting, preheat the oven and dutch oven to 500° F. Heat dutch oven with the lid for an hour.
- When the dutch oven has been heating for an hour, carefully take it out of the oven and
remove the lid. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and carefully pick up the parchment
and dough and place it in the dutch oven.
- Carefully score the dough swiftly on a 45 degree angle with a lame or sharp knife about
¾ inch deep. Feel free to add other designs here as well to decorate your bread however
- Place the lid back on dutch oven and bake in the middle of the oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove the lid, bread should be puffed and lightly golden with an internal temperature
around 200° F. Lower the oven temperature to 450° F and continue baking with the lid off
for 10-15 minutes until deeply golden.
- Remove from the oven and carefully remove the loaf from dutch oven and let cool on a
wire rack for 1-3 hours or until completely cool, serve and enjoy!
- Garnish sliced bread with additional cheese slices and toppings of choice. Try lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and bacon on one or avocado slices, cheese, and cucumber slices on another.