Recipe Creator: Chef D
Quick, easy, and flavourful, stuffed peppers make an ideal dinner for any night of the week. This version created by Chef D is made with less than 10 ingredients including ground chicken, rice, veggies, and our award-winning Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar all bundled into one delicious meal.
- 4 red or yellow peppers tops cut off and seeded
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1-1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 14oz. ground chicken
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- ½ cup Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, shredded
- Bring 4 quarts of salted water to boil in large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add bell peppers. Cook until peppers just begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, remove peppers from pot, drain off excess water, and place peppers cut-sides up on paper towels. Return water to boil; add rice and boil until tender, about 13 minutes. Drain rice and transfer to large bowl; set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 1½ minutes; add oil and swirl to coat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a spoon, until the chicken becomes opaque, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to bowl with rice; stir in tomatoes, cheese, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place peppers cut-side up in 9-inch square baking dish. Using soup spoon, divide filling evenly among peppers. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over each filled pepper. Bake until filling is heated through, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve immediately.