Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
This Cheese Soufflé made with our NEW Lactose Free Old Cheddar is a classic. Baked until golden, this light and savoury soufflé is a must-try!
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks + 7 egg whites, separated
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. creamy Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 250g package of Bothwell Lactose Free Old Cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- Spray oil or extra butter for baking dishes
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° F. Prepare 6, 1 cup baking ramekins by spraying a generous
amount of oil or butter on the sides and bottom of each ramekin.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine butter and flour, creating a roux.
- Once butter and flour have combined and started bubbling, slowly add the cream.
- Cook the cream mixture for another 1-2 minutes until slightly thickened, remove from
heat and transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Once the cream mixture is cooled, add egg yolks, sour cream, salt, Dijon mustard, dry
mustard, cayenne pepper and cheese.
- In a large bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar. Using an electric beater, beat the
mixture until it forms firm peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the cream mixture, in thirds. Make sure that they are fully
- Divide the mixture evenly in the ramekins, cleaning the sides of the ramekins so there is
no messy batter.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Serve immediately!