Recipe Creator: www.epicurious.com
If a bite of this doesn’t taste like a day in the Italian sun, we don’t know what will. Use fresh Italian plum (Roma) tomatoes, if you can.
- 6 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ½ cups Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 3 28-oz Canned Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 tsp Dried basil
- 1½ tsp Dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cups Chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lb Penne or rigatoni pasta
- 2½ cups Bothwell Mozzarella, grated
- ⅓ cup Kalamata olives, sliced & pitted
- ¼ cup Fresh basil, finely chopped
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes, dried basil and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Add stock and simmer until mixture is reduced to 6 cups, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain well.
- Return pasta to pot and toss with 3 tbsp oil.
- Pour 1/2 to 2/3 of the sauce over pasta, add cheese and toss to blend.
- Refrigerate or freeze remaining sauce for future use.
- Transfer pasta to 13x9x2 inch greased glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle with olives. Bake until pasta is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil.