Recipe Creator: Chef Rob Thomas
The addition of cheese curds in the recipe adds texture and pops of flavour. These single serve portions are perfect size for appetizers. You can also adapt the recipe and make a casserole to serve as an entree.
- ¼ cup Butter
- 2 ½ tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 8oz Cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 ½ cups Black Truffle cheese, grated
- 1 cup Bothwell SqueaK’rs
- 2 tbsp Butter, melted
- ½ cup Crushed Pretzels
- 1 Pinch Paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 cup non-stick muffin tin.
- Cook macaroni according to package. Once cooked and drained, add to a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly until the sauce is a little thick*. Season with salt & pepper.
- Pour sauce over macaroni in large bowl, add grated cheese and SqueaK’rs, mix well.
- Pack each muffin cup with mac n’ cheese mixture. Top with crushed pretzels, drizzle with melted butter, and sprinkle with a pinch of paprika.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a dark crust forms around the edges, let cool for 5 minutes and serve.
*It's important that the roux be warm when you add your liquid. Too hot or too cold can both cause problems, leading to lumpy results.