Red Wine Cheddar, Bacon and Pear Parcels with Pecan Streusel
Recipe Creator: The Lemon Apron
Sweet, savoury, and salty come together in this delicious appetizer made with our Red Wine Old Cheddar. Perfect for holiday entertaining, everyone will love these bite-size parcels that are full of flavour.
- 12 wonton wrappers, can also use egg roll wrappers or phyllo dough
- vegetable spray
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 or 2 firm baking pears, choose Forelle, Red, Bosc etc.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 80 grams cream cheese, softened to room temperature, or 3 oz.
- 1/4 cups our cream
- 80 grams grated Bothwell Red Wine Old Cheddar, or 3 oz., approximately 1 cup
- 4 rashers bacon cooked, drained on paper towel, and crumbled, divided
- 6 tbsp. chopped toasted pecans
- 6 tbsp. rolled oats
- 1 tbsp. flour, can use gluten free version
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. softened butter
- handful of dried cranberries to finish
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a regular sized muffin tin with veggie spray and line each muffin cavity with one wrapper, folding and pressing them in to fit snuggly. Optional: Brush with a little melted butter to help them brown.
- Bake for 10 minutes, till lightly coloured and firmed up. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Warm the honey in a medium to large skillet over medium heat till just bubbling. Place all the pear slices into the skillet to coat both sides. Remove from the heat and let the pear sit for no longer than 1 minute (depending on how thin you cut them). Don't let them become too soft. Remove them to a plate. Reserve the honey.
- Combine the cream cheese and sour cream till smooth. Fold 3/4 cup of the grated Bothwell Red Wine Cheddar and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon into the cream cheese mixture.
- Combine the chopped pecans, rolled oats, flour, and brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Add the butter and combine with your fingers or a fork until clumpy.
- Divide the honeyed pear slices evenly among the muffin cups. Divide the cheese filling evenly, spooning it around the pear slices.
- Sprinkle the Streusel topping evenly over the cheese filling. Scatter the remaining grated cheddar cheese and bacon over the streusel topping.
- Return the muffin tin to the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes, till the cheeses have melted, the wonton cups are golden, and the aroma is wonderful!
- Scatter dried cranberries over the filling. Drizzle the reserved honey over the cups. Best served warm.