Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
Loaded with veggies, this grilled chickpea burger with our award-winning Jalapeño Monterey Jack cheese is served in a lettuce bun for a healthy burger you can serve all year long.
2 cups (500 mL) chopped carrots
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red onion
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red pepper
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
1 can (19 oz/560 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
1 cup (250 mL) shredded Bothwell Jalapeño Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
3 heads iceberg lettuce
6 thick slices beefsteak tomato
1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 425˚F (220˚C). Toss together carrots, red onion, red pepper, jalapeño, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange in single layer on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- In food processor, mix chickpeas with lime juice until finely ground. Add roasted vegetables, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; pulse until coarsely ground. Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) Jalapeño Monterey Jack, bread crumbs and egg; pulse until combined. Divide into 6 portions; shape into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties. Refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush patties with canola oil; grill for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until grill-marked. Sprinkle with remaining Jalapeño Monterey Jack; grill for about 1 minute or until cheese starts to melt.
- Slice off 4 large cheeks from each head of iceberg lettuce, about 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick, to make 12 lettuce “bun” halves (reserve remaining lettuce for another use).
- Sandwich each burger with tomato slices and mayonnaise between 2 lettuce bun halves.