Recipe Creator: Chef D
These doughy rolls made by Chef D are soft on the outside and creamy on the inside. Made with Sunny Dog Spicy Dill Pickle Monterey Jack, these rolls are spicy and full of flavour. They make a great side dish for any occasion.
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated white sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup cold butter
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 package Sunny Dog Spicy Dill Pickle Monterey Jack, grated (hold back 1/3 cup)
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
Optional: 1 cup ham or bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Make a well in the centre. Pour milk slowly into the centre, incorporating more of the crumble mixture as you stir. Combine until you form soft dough. Then turn it onto floured surface.
- Knead 8 to 10 times. Roll into a rectangle and about 1/3 of an inch thick and 12 inches long. Cutting the dough and pressing in into a rectangle shape makes for continuity in the size of your rolls.
- Slowly melt your butter and set aside to cool a bit. Blend cream cheese and 1 cup of the Spicy Dill Pickle Cheese together until blended.
- Once your dough is rolled out to satisfaction brush cooled melted butter over the surface. Spread the cheese mixture on top. The easy way is to place small spoonful of cheese on the dough then cover with plastic wrap and roll out with your rolling pin. Once smooth and pretty much covered, remove plastic.
- If adding ham or bacon, sprinkle it over top.
- Roll up like a jelly roll. Mark first, then cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down in a muffin pan. Sprinkle the cheese you held back on any non-cheesy surfaces. Usually the end pieces. Bake in 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Finish with some chopped dill pickles here if you'd like. Turn out on a tray and serve warm.
ChefD’s Tip: Add a cup of leftover Easter Ham or Bacon bits to add another flavour layer.