Sunny Dog Red Wine Risotto
Recipe Creator: Chef D
This rich Red Wine Risotto made with Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic cheese combines red wine, beets, and herbs & garlic cheddar for a fresh twist on a comforting classic.
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 1 bottle pinot noir
- 2 large red beets, peeled and grated
- 1 cup Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, shredded
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic slices for plating
- Preheat a medium sized wide bottom pan to a medium heat. Surface area is important. Melt the butter, add the onions and garlic and sweat until fragrant. Approximately 3 minutes. Do not brown the onions.
- Add the rice to the pan. Stir the rice until it is completely coated in butter, and it has a nice sheen. Reduce the heat and toast the rice, no colour please. Once the rice is hot to the touch, add the grated beet, and the bottle of wine. Cook on medium low heat, stirring frequently.
- Once the wine is reduced, and the pan is approaching dry, add the stock, cheese, and vinegar. Keep on heat and stir until the desired consistency is reached.
ChefD’s Tip: Dressing these with fried garlic slices takes this recipe up a notch, not only visually but it also adds texture and taste.