Tex Mex Kale & Sweet Potato Enchiladas
A blend of Medium Cheddar and our fiery Jalapeño Monterey Jack adds kick and character to this nutrition-packed, wholesome meal that incorporates sweet potato, kale and bell peppers.
- 3/4 cup Bothwell Medium Cheddar, shredded
- 3/4 cup Bothwell Jalapeño Monterey Jack or Bothwell Lactose Free Jalapeño Monterey Jack, shredded
- 5 kale leaves, washed, stems removed and chopped
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and chopped small
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can of black or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce (green or red)
- 5 tortillas / wraps
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (garnish - optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced (garnish - optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Boil chopped sweet potato until fork-tender (approx. 10 min). Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent (approx. 5 min). Season with salt & pepper.
- Add red or yellow peppers, sweet potato, black beans and kale to the pan. Increase heat to medium-high heat and cook until kale is wilted.
- Remove pan from heat and mix in 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, dried cilantro and pinch of salt.
- Spread 1 cup of enchilada sauce over the bottom of the greased baking dish. Line up tortillas and scoop 3/4 cup of kale mixture on to each.
- Sprinkle with generous amount of cheese.
- Roll tortillas and place them seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada sauce and kale mixture over-top of tortillas. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 min, until heated through.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Plate and garnish with fresh cilantro and avocado slices.