The sharp taste of Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar gives a deep, smoky taste to this classic, rustic fare. Be sure to make enough for seconds!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 bottles beer - or to taste (lager or pale ale, approx. 355 ml per bottle)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 300g Bothwell Maple Smoked Extra Old Cheddar, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cook onions and garlic until soft.
- Add flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour in beer at an angle, stirring constantly.
- Add cream and stock and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring constantly until melted (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with chives.
- Serve in extra-large bowls with sliced baguette on the side.