Apple & Cheddar Turnovers
The perfect pairing of sweet apples and salty cheddar cheese – wrapped in puff pastry. These make a wonderful addition to brunch alongside a salad. Substitute any Bothwell variety to create new flavour combinations.
- Two apples, diced
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- 2 frozen all-butter puff pastry sheets, each about 9 inches square, thawed according to package instructions (try substituting refrigerated pizza dough)
- 1 cup Bothwell Old Cheddar, shredded
- 4 tbsp unrefined cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- Small bowl of water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel, quarter and core the apples. Thinly slice the quarters and dice. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with cinnamon and 2 tbsp of sugar. Mix until combined.
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan and transfer to a bowl. Set next to work station, along with a small bowl of water.
- Roll out each puff pastry sheet until it measures about 10 by 12 inches. Cut each sheet into 12 almost square pieces (or less if you prefer larger turnovers).
- Top each square with 1 tbsp of apple and 1 tbsp of cheese (increase amounts if making larger turnovers). Note: the pastry is going to raise when cooking, ensure you have a nice dough to filling ratio!
- Brush the edges of the pastry pieces with a small amount of water, fold pieces in half on the diagonal to form a triangle. Using a fork, press the edges together to seal.
- Place turnovers on a baking sheet, spacing them about ½ inch apart. Brush the tops with butter and sprinkle with cheese and sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm for melty cheese or make in advance and serve at room temperature.