Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
These deep-fried arancini balls loaded with herbs and garlic cheese and rice make the best appetizers!
- 900 ml of your favourite stock
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar, grated
- 12 ½” cubes of Sunny Dog Barkin' Herbs & Garlic Cheddar
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups panko crumbs
- Oil for frying
- In a small/medium pan heat stock on low medium heat.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil and sauté garlic and onion.
- Add rice and let rice toast with onion mixture for about 3 minutes, making sure to fully
coat rice with oil.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and let wine soak in. Ladle ½ cup warmed stock and
bring to a simmer, stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Continue this process until stock is
gone or rice is cooked al dente.
- Remove from heat and add grated cheese and stir to combine.
- Spread rice on a parchment lined baking sheet and let cool in the fridge for at least an
- On another lined parchment sheet divide rice into 12 balls (about 2 ½ tbsp.).
- Using your finger make a hole in each rice ball and add a cheese cube and pinch the hole
shut and roll into a perfect ball.
- Repeat this process with all the balls.
- Preheat oil to 350 ° F. Prepare the breading station by transferring flour, eggs and panko
crumbs into their own shallow bowls. Beating the eggs lightly for easy dipping.
- Dredge each ball in flour then egg and lastly panko. Repeat this process with all the rice
- Fry each ball in oil for 4-6 minutes or until deeply golden brown, carefully remove from
oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce like marinara!