Recipe Creator: Bothwell Cheese
You'll score big-time with this casserole. Packed with all your favorite Mexican fixings, it's perfect for Game Day, or any day!
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- ½ Medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 2 cups Fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 ½ cups Long grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 (540mL) Canned black beans, rinsed (approx. 2 ¼ cups)
- 1 cup Frozen corn
- 1 (398mL) Canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups Bothwell Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper Monterey Jack, shredded & divided
- 2 ½ cups Vegetable broth or water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain any juices and add to a 9x13” baking dish. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat and add pepper and onions, cooking until just softened.
- Add garlic, spinach, salt, cumin, chili powder, and paprika, and cook 1-2 minutes, until spinach has just wilted and spices are fragrant. Add to baking dish with beef.
- Add rice, beans, corn, tomatoes and 1 cup cheese to baking dish and stir until combined. Pour broth over top and gently stir.
- Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Open and stir, checking to see if the rice is cooked and liquid has been absorbed. Bake another 10-15 minutes if necessary until the rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 cups cheese and broil until bubbly.
Optional garnishes include crushed tortilla chips, diced avocado, fresh tomatoes, fresh cilantro.
For more heat, throw in a diced jalapeno (or two) when you’re cooking the red pepper and onions!