Recipe Creator: Chef John
This savoury Montreal smoked meat grilled cheese made with Bothwell Squeak'rs is the ultimate grilled cheese, loaded with layers of smoked meat, grainy horseradish mustard and lots of cheesy goodness! These simple ingredients pack a flavour punch!
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 70g Montreal smoked meat
- 40g Squeak'rs White Curds
- 3 Tbsp. Smak Dab Honey Horseradish Mustard
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- Heat a cast iron skillet or nonstick pan to medium high 350°F.
- Spread room temperature butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in pan (butter side down) followed by Squeak'rs cheese curds and meat.
- Spread mustard on second slice of bread (opposite of the buttered side) and place mustard side on top of sandwich.
- Allow the sandwich to cook for 5 minutes on one side and flip with a spatula. Cook another 5 minutes. The bread should be toasted and golden brown.
- Use a kitchen thermometer and take the internal temperature of the sandwich. You want an internal temperature over 140°F to ensure cheese is melted. This will also ensure proper food safety.
Tip: If you don't have time to make your own brisket, you can sub in Schwartz's Montreal Smoked Meat. This is available at Costco and can be picked up with our 1kg bag of Squeak'rs White Curds.
Tip: Heat meat up in the microwave for 45 seconds before you build the sandwich. This will speed up the cooking process.